Innovation Hero Awards
Nick Cerneaz, TWC Executive Director; Ian Hedley and Dr Alexander Zelinsky, 2012 Innovation Heroes
The annual Innovation Hero Awards are an initiative of The Warren Centre, awarded for outstanding Australian innovations in engineering technology.
The program recognises people who bring great ideas to life, and the role they play in driving economic and social progress. It recognises Australian-based people or teams that successfully develop a new technology into a commercial product or service and who create great benefit for Australia.
Nominations of worthy recipients are welcome. Please download this application form (Word document, 638kB) and email it back to us. The final date for nominations for this year’s awards is Friday 17 May, 2013, and awards will be presented at our Annual Innovation Lectures from Tuesday 23 July onwards.
In 2012 the Innovation Heroes were:
- Ian Hedley – Trilift® and Safe-Away®
- Ian Hedley has developed a considerable number of products over the last 31 years of business. These innovations range from G.E.T. (Ground Engaging Tools), lighting towers, water carts, service trucks, wear plate systems, access systems and component lifting products. These innovative and unique products have been patented globally.
- Frank Seeley AM – Seeley International
- Frank Seeley AM, together with Mark de Koeyer and Paul Allwood, developed the world’s first noncondensing five star ducted gas heating range, and the world’s first six star ducted gas heating range.
- Dr Alexander Zelinsky – Seeing Machines & CSIRO
- Dr Alex Zelinsky has played a leading role driving a series of innovations within the Australian ICT sector. From the founding of startup technology companies such as Seeing Machines and Funnelback to roles as CSIRO’s Group Executive for Information Sciences and Director of the CSIRO ICT Centre, to his most recent appointment as Chief Defence Scientist and head of DSTO, Dr Zelinsky has inspired significant innovation throughout the Australian economy.
In 2011 the Innovation Heroes were:
- Jason Bender, Simon Hewitt, Richard Jacka, James Lenon – Emue Technologies
- Jason Bender and his technical team at Emue Technologies developed and deployed a world first Customer Authentication solution designed to protect users of online services, such as banking and shopping, against fraud and identity theft.
- Dr Karl Föger – Ceramic Fuel Cell Technologies
- Ceramic Fuel Cells Limited is a world leader in developing solid oxide fuel cell technology to provide reliable, energy efficient and low-emission electricity from natural gas with its BlueGen™ incorporating the latest technology.
- Dr Ying Gu – JK Research
- Ying Gu at JKTech developed the automated Mineral Liberation Analyzer to identify minerals in drill cores and lump materials and to quantify mineral abundance, grain size, and liberation. Analysis time is reduced to hours, increasing metal recovery with more frequent changes in feed stream mineralogy.
- Richard Tamba, Stephen Tapper, Darren Firth, Graham Mowbray – NTC Powertrain
- NTC Powertrain perfected the hydraulic and mechanical controls for the dual-clutch technologies used by Borg-Warner, VW and many other auto manufacturers. Amongst its many advantages is better fuel economy.
- Dr Anthony Collins – Sonartech Atlas
- Sonartech Atlas’ Ping Intercept Passive Ranging Sonar receiving system pinpoints the exact location and characteristics of the sub-hunting active sonars which allows the submarine to maintain a tactical advantage.
- Peter Clarke, Jochen Franke – Scanalyse Pty Ltd
- MillMapper’s laser scanner of liners in grinding mills and specialised software extracts information, reduces operating costs, increase production levels and reduces energy costs, with a large reduction of CO2 emissions.
In 2010 the Innovation Heroes were:
- Dr Simon Poole, Australia’s leading entrepreneur in the area of optical communications & instrumentation achieving world-wide success as Finisar Australia.
- Dr Steven Frisken, for development of the world leading optical technology and its patent protection Finisar Australia designs, develops and manufactures these products.
- Professor Gernot Heiser. Open Kernel Labs is a foremost computer operating systems research group. Their outstanding product, the L4 microkernel, is used in more than 500 million mobile phones.
- Alexander Gosling, co-founder, Director and Chief Executive of Invetech. A company focused on product development through the innovative use of technology.
- Dr Bob Johnson, pioneered Maptek’s innovative software technology & laser imaging hardware for the mining industry, achieving world-wide success.
- Neil O’Sullivan and the Management Team, for the design & commercialisation of leading edge switchgear. Significant environmental benefits result from NOJA Power’s products which eliminate sulfur hexafluoride, a severe greenhouse gas.