- This event has passed.
Outside the Square: Is This Working? How to be connected
22 June @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm$15 - $25
When was the last time you bought a paper? Last weekend? Last year? Can’t remember?
Most of us now hear about the news through our social media; where stories, accurate or not, go viral within minutes and a new generation of digital influencers shape everyday public opinion.
Social media has also proven to be an effective tool for organising rapid response activist movements: it can connect and unite us to create meaningful social change.
But being constantly connected to each other and having easy access to mass information has its costs. Are we being dumbed down? Who makes or loses money when we expect access and information for free? How do we feel about constant surveillance by both corporate and our own personal social media platforms? Are we really informed? Are we really connected?
About the panel
- Prof. Ariadne Vromen – Professor of Political Sociology
- Dr Jonathon Hutchinson – Lecturer in Online Communication and Media
- Shami Sivasubramanian – Social Media Reporter and Multimedia Producer at SBS
- 22 June
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- $15 - $25
- Event Tags:
- communications, social media, surveillance
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- The Old Rum Store
Chippendale, NSW 2008 Australia + Google Map