The Warren Centre’s Innovation Lecture Series and our Innovation Hero Awards put successful Australian innovators in the public spotlight, showcasing innovation across the engineering universe. We are privileged to present an exemplary selection of Australian achievers, and to recognise great individual accomplishments in innovation.
The Warren Centre’s 2017 Innovation Lecture, Shaping Tomorrow: Robots, 3D printing and virtual reality will be presented by Professor Andrew Harris of the University of Sydney and Laing O’Rourke.
Construction is not often thought of innovative and yet the world around us is changing rapidly. Virtual reality enables a project managers to show a stakeholder the future, while 3D printing and automation are driving new efficiencies in modular construction and intricate design. Andrew will address the questions of where Australia’s engineering and construction capability is in all this, and what it will take for us to be globally competitive.
Our 2016 Innovation Lecture was presented in September 2016 by Marita Cheng, founder of Robogals, 2Mar and Aipoly, and former Young Australian of the Year.
Marita discussed her experiences in the Australian tech world as an entrepreneur, engineer, and humanitarian – and considered how we can bring together businesss and engineering to develop technology solutions that change people’s lives. View video highlights / view Twitter highlights.
The 2015 Innovation Lecture was presented in November 2015 by Salah Sukkarieh, Professor of Robotic & Intelligent Systems at the University of Sydney and introduced by the then Assistant Minister for Innovation, the Hon Wyatt Roy MP.
You can view highlights from our Innovation Lectures on our Vimeo channel, or see below for more information on all topics:
- 2016: Engineering A Better World
Marita Cheng, Founder, Robogals, 2Mar
- 2015: Robotics, Automation and Intelligent Operations
Salah Sukkarieh, Professor of Robotic & Intelligent Systems, University of Sydney
- 2014: Beyond Earth
Enrico Palermo, VP Operations, The Spaceship Company/Virgin Galactic
- 2013: Thinking Big & Making It Happen
Dr Alex Zelinsky, Chief Defence Scientist, DSTO
- 2012: Innovation in Motion – Conquering the Global Automotive Industry
Ric Tamba, Senior Vice President Car Transmissions Global, AVL
- 2011: Making MAPTEK – Innovation in the Mining Industry
Dr Bob Johnson, Founder & Chairman MAPTEK
- 2010: The Robots Are Coming! The Robotics Revolution in Australian Industry
Professor Hugh Durrant-Whyte FRS, Research Director, Australian Centre for Field Robotics
- 2009: From Australia to the World: The Story of Google Maps & Google Wave
Dr Lars Rasmussen, Google
- 2008: The Art and Practice of Engineering in a Digital World
Tristram Carfrae, Structural Design Engineer & ARUP Fellow
- 2007: Technology Magic – Spitting Chips and Global Success
Dr Chris Nicol, Chief Technology Officer (Embedded Systems), NICTA
- 2006: Childhood Dreams Made Real
Don Fry AO, Owner and Chairman, AIMTEK
- 2005: Where’s Waldo?… Tenix’s Global Search for Innovative Solutions
Paul Salteri, Managing Director, Tenix Pty Limited
- 2004: Our Time (Zone) is Coming
Dr Keith Williams AM, CEO Proteome Systems Ltd
- 2003: The Money or The Box – Lessons from Looksmart
Evan Thornley, Chair, Looksmart Ltd
- 2002: Why Is It So Difficult to Develop Great Ideas and Inventions in Australia: Australians Can Make It
Dr Jim Fox, Managing Director, Vision Systems Limited
- 2001: Building an Innovative Global Enterprise from Australia
Peter Fogarty, CEO, ERG Group
- 2000: Managing the Innovative Global Enterprise
Catherine Livingstone, Managing Director, Cochlear Limited
- 1999: Value Creation Through Innovation
- 1998: Transnational Strategies to Drive Point of Sale Technology Innovation
John Wood, Managing Director, Keycorp
- 1997: The Practical Nature of Innovation in Australian Large Businesses
Jerry Ellis, Chairman-elect, BHP Co Ltd
- 1996: Technology and Innovation in the America’s Cup Challenge and for Australia
John Bertrand AM